Connecting or reconnecting with God can feel like a massive step. When I first felt God speaking to me after some 35 years of very little contact with him I was in a bit of a quandary. Not least of which was the dilemma that I was gay and didn’t really know what that meant for my relationship with God. Could I even have a relationship with God?
The fact you are here today makes me believe that you are exploring whether a relationship with God is right for you, what a journey you are about to embark on!
My advice is to treat this journey as just that, “a journey” where one step naturally follows another, small steps that you can handle and at each stage don’t be afraid to pause and take stock. Whatever your lifestyle choice God loves you and wants a relationship with you, if you are still in an active gay relationship this will not stop you from drawing near to God to seek answers.
- Connect with God, tell him why you’re here, what’s brought you to this webpage? Talk to him naturally, ask him to help you hear from him, tell him what worries or concerns you, he’s listening and he will answer, just be aware the answer may not always be the one you want to hear!
- Ask Google but don’t substitute God with Google! You will find answers but not discernment and wisdom on the internet, these you will find only through God!
- Take time to draw your own conclusions from what you see and hear from God, you will need to have strong foundations to build on so it’s worth really understanding your thought processes and what God is saying specifically to you.
- Don’t feel like you have to find a church immediately, God will lead and guide you when the time is right. When you feel him calling you to find a church take some time to pray for guidance on which church will be best for you.
- If you really want to hear from God then the best thing to do is to read the Bible. If you don’t have a bible try www.biblegateway.com. Pray over passages that concern you or you find difficult, ask God to help you gain clarity about your life and God’s plan for you
- As you progress ask God to surround you with Christians who will support you and accompany you on your journey, their prayers and support will be invaluable throughout the rest of your life
- Keep seeking God’s wisdom throughout every stage of your journey he loves you and will stand by you as you are obedient to him
My prayer is that through following these steps you will find God’s wisdom and find strength to be obedient to his word and to step back from an active gay lifestyle. God will give you the strength you need to move forward in his love, it’s the narrow path we’ve chosen, God never said it would be easy but he does promise us eternity with him in heaven.